Francesca Bond is an undergraduate student at SUNY Buffalo State. She has a major in Journalism and a double minor in Sociology and Political Science. She is a digital producer at WGRZ-TV where she manages the website and social media during daybreak newscasts. She is a freelance contributor to The Buffalo News Gusto and Step Out Buffalo, writing about restaurants, activities, events and concerts. She is executive editor of her school news organization, The Buffalo State Record, which she also writes for. In her free time, she writes for her personal blog, vintagelillies, which is a part of the Buffalo Blogging Network. She is currently interning at WBFO-FM, Buffalo’s NPR station, as a reporter.
FORMER: REPORTING INTERN
WGRZ-TV Channel 2 Buffalo/January 2018 – Present
- Manages all social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) during Daybreak newscasts.
- Writes copy for Daybreak social media posts.
- Creates original behind the scenes videos for social media.
- Oversees assignment desk during Daybreak hours.
- Writes breaking news stories.
- Manages website.
The Buffalo News Gusto/February 2018 – Present
•Write “Cheap Eats” feature stories about local restaurants and cafes for Gusto.
•Write concert reviews.
•Develop original city guides for dining and activities.
EXECUTIVE EDITOR/FEATURES REPORTER
FORMER: MANAGING EDITOR, NEWS EDITOR, SOCIAL MEDIA EDITOR, REPORTER
The Buffalo State Record/October 2016 – Present
- Run weekly general staff and executive board meetings.
- Provide guidance to reporters on story and source development.
- Edit stories and send comprehensive feedback to writers and section editors.
- Collaborate and share ideas with section editors.
- Share articles on social media channels.
- Recruit and train new writers.
- Write and develop narrative feature stories, news stories and opinions.
- Created ‘Record Style Watch,’ a semi-weekly campus street-style column in which I photograph and interview students about their fashion sense.
- Manage advertisements.
- Come up with innovative ideas for online content, social media and galleries.
- Closely pay attention to other media organizations to keep our content fresh and current with new trends.
- Attended the College Media Association conference in New York City in 2017 and 2018.
WBFO – FM News/May 2018 – Present
- Reports on a range of general news topics; community, local government, sports and events.
- Uses recording equipment and software (Adobe Audition, WireReady) to record, edit and prepare soundbites.
- Writes multiple scripts with original angles so as to not tell the same story twice and longer, more in-depth web articles.
- Live tweets events.
REPORTING/ONLINE MEDIA INTERN
WGRZ-TV 2 On Your Side/January 2018 – Present
- Put together packages including interviewing subjects, writing scripts, choosing sound bites and writing online story.
- Edit short videos for social media.
- Work closely with reporters to gather stories and write the online story.
- Research stories in-depth to add new information to the online version.
- Convert scripts and press releases into web stories.
- Participate in editorial meetings with story ideas.
Step Out Buffalo/May 2017 – Present
- Create city guides and listicles about restaurants, seasonal festivals, music shows and other cultural interests in Western New York.
- Pitch stories based on Step Out Buffalo readers’ interests.
- Heavily research all places mentioned in each story or guide. Ask locals for recommendations and read reviews and social media of each place.
- Write organic, labeled, sponsored content catered to the client about various events and locations in Western New York.
- Construct graphics for Snapchat and Instagram stories to accompany guides.
- Try out restaurants or activities in real time and document them on Snapchat and Instagram stories to thousands of followers.
vintagelillies/July 2011 – Present
- Produce semi-weekly blog posts about personal style, fashion and lifestyle in which I design outfits coordinated with trends, shoot and edit photos and write about current events and fashion with relatable anecdotes.
- Manage sponsorships and work with brands and companies to create organic sponsored blog and social media posts featuring their product and/or reviews.
- Active member of Buffalo Blogging Network. Collaborate with bloggers on projects.
- Sponsorships and collaborations include: Aeropostale, JORD Wood Watches, SheInside, ISA Professionals, TOBI, Perry’s Ice Cream, Modern Map Art, Queen City Fashion Week, Niagara Fashion Outlets, Scarlett of Eden jewelry.
Teen Vogue Fashion Click/Lucky Magazine/ 2013 – 2014
- Blogged for both magazines’ websites; collaborated with Teen Vogue writers.
FORMER: PROVIDER RELATIONS COORDINATOR, ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT
Pro Benefits Administrators/August 2016 – May 2018
- Create all aspects of promotional materials including copy, layout and design.
- Work with administration to represent company as accurately as possible to our clients.
FORMER: SECRETARY, VICE PRESIDENT
SUNY Buffalo State PRSSA Chapter/September 2015 – December 2017
- Organized and contacted local professionals to serve as guest speakers for weekly meetings and coordinated field trips to public relations firms in Buffalo.
- Updated social media channels with information about meetings, internships and public relations related news.
- Moderated panel discussion between ten communication professionals called “Meet the Professionals Night” (2017).
- Conducted resume, LinkedIn and portfolio workshops.
SOCIAL MEDIA MANAGER/ EVENT COORDINATOR
Mr. Bond’s Diner/November 2015 – October 2016
- Created creative content for social media channels including photos of food, restaurant, employees, and events.
- Managed social media including frequently posting, engaging with community members and replying to messages and reviews.
- Arranged events such as live bands and interactive music sessions.
SUNY Buffalo State
Journalism (concentration in Public Affairs)
Political Science Minor
Dean’s List 2015-2017
Alpha Lamba Delta Honor Society
Expected graduation: May 2019
Royalton-Hartland High School
National Honor Society
Leadership Youth Niagara
Field Hockey, Tennis, Musicals
- Edius and Avid editing software
- Social Media
- Project Planning
- AP Style
Annemarie Franczyk, Ed.D.
Associate Professor, Journalism
Buffalo State College
Director of Storytelling/Editor
Step Out Buffalo
Phone: 716-261-9111 ext. 708